With an eye for detail and a professional, meticulous approach to every project I undertake, I am confident that I can help to make your written content even better.
Baron Proofreading was founded by James Baron, a Chartered Environmentalist and member of the Society for Editors and Proofreaders (SfEP) and the Institute of Environmental Management and Assessment (IEMA).
As a native English speaker, I offer an editing and copywriting service for most subjects, although I specialise in science and engineering and can provide particular expertise in environmental matters (e.g. environmental engineering, sustainability, energy, air and water pollution, conservation, environmental policy and management, and climate change). However, editing skills are transferable to any subject matter; prior knowledge of a subject often helps but isn’t always essential.
My qualifications include MSc Environmental Engineering (Distinction) and BSc (Hons) Geography. In more recent years, I have completed training by the SfEP and also the Publishing Training Centre, qualifying with Merit.
Prior to editing and copywriting I have worked in several industries over the past 25 years:
- Environment Manager (Carillion) – rail sector.
- Senior Regulated Industry Officer (Environment Agency) – working across many industries, from electricity generation and food manufacture to hospitals and waste treatment.
- Senior Environmental Engineer (DNV GL) – oil and gas sector.
- Various IT mainframe software development positions – financial services sector.
- Chartered Environmentalist with the Society for the Environment (SocEnv).
- Professional Member of the Society for Editors and Proofreaders (SfEP) and local coordinator for the East Midlands group.
- Full member of the Institute of Environmental Management and Assessment (IEMA).
In my spare time, I regularly do volunteer work with the Nottinghamshire Wildlife Trust.
Please see my LinkedIn profile for more information.
Please contact me for a quote or to discuss your requirements.